![]() |
| 5 minutes before going into the delivery room. (Just call me torpedo mama. Good grief). |
By 9:00 I was audibly moaning. I couldn't help it. The contractions were SO painful and there was maybe a 30 second break between them. I was grabbing onto Tim telling him I wanted an epidural, telling him there's no way I'd be able to sit up for one. And by 9:05 the pain was so excruciating and the pressure so strong, I grabbed Tim and told him the baby was coming. The nurse moseyed on in and checked to see how dilated I was. I remember her checking me, and then quickly walking out into the hallway and shouting for the doctor. I remember her shouting something about the baby coming. I was in survival mode on the hospital bed, begging for the epidural. Grabbing Tim's arm and quickly shutting him up anytime he tried to comfort me. Several nurses and the doctor were all of the sudden in the room all around me. It still hadn't clicked that this was it. The doctor let me know that I was fully dilated to a ten and it was time. I was a little in shock. I asked for epidural again and they let me know that there was no time, the baby was coming. That's when pain and panic took over.
I remember repeating over and over again, "I can't do this! I can't do this!" And nobody seemed to have gotten the memo because the doctor told me to push. Wanting it to be over, I pushed. Man oh man did I push. Before my 3rd push, I laid there still repeating, "I can't" and the nurse came over, looked me in the eyes and said, "yes, you can do this." I remember thinking, lady, you don't know me. That positive talk ain't gonna work on me. I quickly disageed with another, "No, I can't!" And she grabbed my hand and said, "You can do this. Your little girl needs you. You can do this for your baby girl." And that's when I shut up, closed my eyes and pushed so hard I thought I might die.
And then she was here. I heard a few cries and they brought her right to me and laid her on my chest.
I'll never forget how beautiful she was at that moment. She stopped fussing and immediately became quiet as she laid on top of me. She was so sweet and I was instantly in love. We named her the next morning. I was alone with her in my hospital room, watching an episode of Fixer Upper. The host on the show is named Joanna. It put the name back in my mind from months earlier when Tim and I had discussed it as a possibility. I looked up the meaning - gift from God or God is gracious, and I knew we had found a name.




this is basically how i picture your nurse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4teMvG0RzyU
ReplyDelete