There are only two things in this world that captivate our always-busy, can't-sit-still, soon-to-be nine month old. She is completely oblivious to anyone or anything else around her when these two things come into view. Nothing brings her more joy than FOOD and BOOKS.
She can't get enough of either. I find it so interesting that, generally speaking, babies LOVE books. June's been mesmerized for months now. They're her favorite toy. She can spend half an hour just flipping through the pages of her board books (which I will admit is mighty convenient for her mama). There is something about books that all the electronics in the world can never compete with. When I had a classroom full of electronic savvy, t.v./ipad/video game obsessed second graders, there were days when all the games, treats, and tireless song&dance teacher perfomances did nothing to engage my kiddos. The second I switched on an educational video, no matter how outdated and mind-numbingly boring, they were hooked. I had twenty 7 yr old zombies staring at a screen in my classroom. YUCK.
But...you know what? Books had the same effect. For all of my students. No matter their reading level, the book topic, or time of day. I usually read anywhere from 3-8 read alouds a day, and my kids were always captivated. I loved it. And I love watching the same effect on my own little kiddo.
So naturally we use these two obsessions as motivators to crawl. She's been rolling from wall to wall as her means of transportation, which was all good and fine, but we upped the ante with a few books and some Cheerios. And ladies and gentleman, we have the beginnings of a crawler.
There was a will, and by golly, the girl found a way:
No comments:
Post a Comment